Sat, Oct 01|
Taste of History 2022
A progressive evening of cocktails and hors d'oeuvres at FIVE historic venues - The Culver House, Oglesby Mansion, Millikin Homestead, Staley Museum and Mueller Museum.
Time & Location
Oct 01, 2022, 5:00 PM – 9:00 PM
Decatur, 412 W Prairie Ave, Decatur, IL 62522, USA
About The Event
The Taste of History is back! Tour the Culver House, Millikin Homestead, Mueller Museum, Governor Oglesby Mansion and Staley Museum on October 1st from 5:00 to 9:00 pm and enjoy hors d’oeuvres and drinks at each location.
Each venue represents a pioneer in the business industry and a piece of Decatur’s history:
· James Millikin, a banker, founded Millikin University in 1901.
· Hieronymous Mueller was Decatur’s first city plumber. He invented the water tapper and many water and gas products, which are still manufactured locally.
· A.E. Staley operated the largest corn starch manufacturing plant, which is now operated by Tate & Lyle.
· Richard Oglesby was a US Senator, war veteran and the only three time governor of Illinois.
· John Culver owned a monument business and later created an electric company which eventually became Ameren Illinois. He and his brother Col. James Culver did the first reconstruction of Abraham Lincoln’s Tomb.
Learn more about who they were, what they did and where they lived as you tour each location and taste local cuisine while sipping a cold beverage. Parking is available at Central Christian Church where you can catch the trolley.
For more information call 217-423-6161.
ABOUT THE TASTE OF HISTORY
The Taste of History is a joint effort by the Millikin Homestead, Mueller Museum, Staley Museum, Oglesby Mansion and Culver House. Each venue represents a piece of Decatur’s history dating back to the 1800’s. Each venue is a 501(c)(3) and the funds raised will help keep this Decatur history alive.
Lauren Taylor – Assistant Director at the Hieronymus Mueller Museum