The Culver House
The Culver House, located at 412 W. Prairie St. in Decatur, IL, has stood there since 1888. It has an enthralling past. It was the home of a local attorney, then was purchased by John H. Culver, a prominent businessman who lived there until his death. It was later turned into apartments, and after a fire in 1979, it was not once, but twice slated for demolition. The Historic Decatur Foundation stepped in and saved this piece of our local history and is working to revitalize this historic home which is located in the Historic District. It is the last Queen Ann style home in Decatur with a turret.
John H. Culver owned a successful monument company in Decatur, as well as a very successful electric company. He also opened power houses in several small towns in Central Illinois, and owned a telephone company. He was known for his extensive book collection, the largest privately owned library in the area.
He was also a partner in his brother's business, Culver Construction Co. located in Springfield, IL. Together they created many magnificent and prominent buildings in Central Illinois.
Click on the tabs above to learn more about the history of the house and it's incredibly successful owner. Central Illinois owes a lot to the Culver's - let's save this piece of history! #THIS HOUSE MATTERS